Monday, November 08, 2004

Urban Rural Divide

So, right now on my computer I have a map showing the Bush/Kerry breakdown county by county in the United States from the site http://www.electoral-vote.com. While I did finally vote for Bush...I don't have it there to remind me of the victory. It is really quite striking and sad at the same time. Where ever there is a blue county the chances of finding a large city in that country are great. For instance In Ohio, The entire state is red except for the toledo, cleveland, youngstown, dayton, and columbus areas. Also notable are th counties bordering West Virginia. The only county that appears out of place is the Athens. But, when you remember that Athens is home to Ohio University, and not much else...it makes more sense.

My point is the same one that everyone has made this week. We are 2 countries. Michael Moore has a Map of the country diveded into "The United States of Canada" and "Jesusland" on his website: http://michaelmoore.com. Granted, its a bit of an overstatement.

As Christians though...isn't it our duty to reach out to the otherside? That doesn't mean compromising our beliefs, but ma...there has to be a better way.

Coming from Cincinnati I am sure it is a no-brainer that I would vote for Bush... Yet Coming from Columbus as well I am sure some might wonder why I would do such a thing.

I did not base my votecompletely on moral values as many Bush voters did...simply because both parties have moral values I hold high and others that I don't agree with.

I tried all summer and fall to give John Kerry a chance to impress me. To see that he wasn't just a politician. In the end I came to the conclusion that there really wasn't going to be much of a change if either was elected. The country will go on and have its dark and shining moments with either candidate. So ... I chose Bush for the sake of continuity.


0 comments: