Sunday, November 14, 2004

MSNBC - Of Prayer and Payback

MSNBC - Of Prayer and Payback


Ok.... so even though I voted for Bush, this scares the heck out of me.

I think the scariest line may be : "We're going to strike out and demand a conservative agenda," says direct-mail guru Richard Viguerie. "If we don't do it now, when do we do it?"

I didn't know it was the Christian's responsibility to "strike out"
Sigh... I guess I am glad that I go to a seminary where this is not the norm.

Also read about what Bob Jones III of Bob Jones Univ. has to say about liberals...

I voted for Bush, not the radical right.

blah

1 comments:

Seth said...

Yeah. Not cool. That's for sure.

WORLD EXCLUSIVE: Who Seth Voted For! (just kidding)

I voted for Kerry. A big reason was because I didn't want Christian Right leaders like the one talked about in this article to make political inroads.

They make my skin crawl, and I think their agenda for the country is wrong. They need the book thrown at them, Flannery O'Connor style (reference her story 'Revelation'). Someone posted this on my blog, I loved it.

"You know, I’m not trying to call Christians out of being politically involved; I just want them to be there as Christians. And instead, what they get is they think they have a personal relationship with Jesus, which makes it OK for them to do anything that they damn well please, in the name of what’s important for national defence. Well, Jesus is a political saviour, and that prayer is a political prayer. And that’s the kind of seizing of the imagination I’m trying to help Christians regain in America. Because in America, Christians just cannot distinguish themselves – what it means to be Christian, they assume it goes hand in hand with what it means to be an American. And that’s just a deep mistake. But how to help Christians recover that difference is very difficult indeed."
- Stanley Hauerwas