Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Tennant is stepping down as The Doctor after 2009

For those who don't know, Doctor Who is hands down my favorite television show. I love so many shows, but none have captivated me quite like this one has. Sadly the classic series was not a part of my viewing growing up, but once I became a fan of the new series, I have had the joys of going back to explore 30 years worth of episodes.

By the time I did come to investigate Doctor Who, David Tennant was playing what is known as the 10th Doctor (He is a Time Lord, and Time Lords don't die, they regenerate into new bodies/personalities ie- a new actor takes over the part). So, that means that Tennant has been 'my doctor.' He is certainly among my favorites, and knowing he is leaving a year in advance will at least ease the transition for me. It is certainly an odd thing to be affected by a mere fictional character and the people who play him, but I am odd, so there :-p Seriously though, I look forward to his remaining specials and am interested to see who takes on the role next. If I had my choice I would say David Mitchell, Stephen Fry, or Bill Bailey, however in the shows attempt to broaden its audience, they will probably go for someone less quirky and more attractive to the teenage girls demographic. Tennant was in this category, so that does not mean bad things necessarily, it just means some great potentials will never even be considered.


The announcement and subsequent interview:

0 comments: